Food Around the World
Feeling adventurous, hungry for food knowledge, or just curious? Discover unique, interesting foods & dishes from regional cuisines across the globe!
Katsu Sando: the OG crispy chicken sandwich
Are you a fan of fried chicken sandwiches? If so, the katsu sando is a must-try. Katsu is defined as "a Japanese dish consisting of a piece of meat, usually chicken, or vegetable, covered in bread crumbs, fried, then usually cut into strips and eaten with a sauce."...
Fruit Sando: the work-of-art you can eat guilt-free
Feel like something light but also want something on the sweet side? The fruit sando (フルーツ" or "furutsu sando") is a great option. It is a Japanese fruit sandwich that is satisfying in its simplicity. It consists of fluffy shokupan (Japanese milk bread), light whipped...
Wagyu Sando: a simple yet “extra” sandwich
If you're looking for a sandwich but you're feeling extra, the wagyu sando is for you. It is a simple traditional Japanese cutlet sandwich served katsu style made with shokupan (Japanese milk bread) and wagyu, one of the highest-quality meats known to man—making this...
Tamago Sando: the egg salad sandwich of perfection
A tamago sando is the Japanese version of an egg salad sandwich. If you are familiar with Japanese culture, you are aware that Japanese people pride themselves on efficiency and perfection (or as close to it as humanly possible). This sandwich is a reflection of this...
Jaffle: the Hot Pocket of sandwiches
The jaffle is a type of sandwich that is enclosed with toasted bread. Texturewise, they are known for their crisp exterior and soft heated interior. Flavorwise, they are usually savory but can be sweet as well. Because the contents of the sandwich are pressed and...
Japanese Sandos: the most perfectly assembled sandwiches ever
What is a Japanese sando? Japanese sandos (a.k.a. Japanese sandwiches) is the Apple product of sandwiches. It is minimalist, clean and traditionally white. It's a popular snack and lunch item in Japan. It consists of fillings such as meats, vegetables, fruits and/or...
Malatang: the hot pot version of self-serve froyo
Malatang (a.k.a. ma la tang or mala tang) is a create-your-own Sichuan variation of traditional Chinese hot pot. It is commonly translated to "spicy numbing hot soup." This early form of hot pot originated at the Yangtze River in the Chinese province of Sichuan and...
Vietnamese Pizza: the flavorful low-carb pizza you’ve been waiting for
Vietnamese pizza, technically called bánh tráng nướng (pronounced "bon chrang nung"), is a Vietnamese street food that is constructed like your basic run-of-the-mill pizza, but without the basic ingredients. The "dough" is made of circular rice paper covered with...
Yuzu Juice: when lemons just won’t cut it
What is yuzu? Yuzu is a citrus fruit that is popular in East Asia and is typically grown in China, Japan, and Korea. Yuzu juice has a very unique and distinct flavor that sets it apart from any other citrus fruit. It's tart, but sweet at the same time, with a bright,...
Milhojas: a thousand layers of Latin American sweetness
What is milhojas? Milhojas (a.k.a. mil hojas) is a traditional Latin American pastry made with layers of puff pastry and crème patissière. The English translation of mihojas is "a thousand layers" or "a thousand leaves." It can be seen as the South American version of...
Mushroom Chips: a crispy healthy potato chip alternative
What are mushroom chips? Mushroom chips (a.k.a. mushroom crisps) are a type of snack made from fresh mushrooms that are sliced and then dried. The drying process gives the mushrooms a crispy texture, similar to that of potato chips or crisps and can be eaten either...
Taccone: these flying carpets of pasta are magical
What is taccone pasta? Taccone (a.k.a. tacconi) is a unique type of pasta that is shaped like tiny wavy magic carpets or rectangles with ruffled edges. It hails from the central Italian region, specifically Sardinia, and is a popular pasta choice in Tuscany. This type...
Gigli de Semola: beautiful twirling skirts of pasta
What is gigli de semola? Gigli de semola pasta (a.k.a. gigli pasta or campanelle) is a uniquely-shaped Italian pasta that is made from durum wheat flour. This pasta shape resembles a cone with ruffles or small flowery bells. As such, it was named after the Italian...
Glutto Digest is a nationwide food blog based in the US. We feature unique & relatively esoteric foods & beverages ranging from the traditional to the trendy. Browse through our posts above to discover the best, most unique, newest, and up and coming foods & drinks (including recipes for delicious meals and yummy dishes).
Nice job finding our not-so-subtle Easter egg. 😉 Like finding the good stuff? Well then, we shall reward your curiosity by divulging more information about what we have to offer… To break things down, Glutto Digest’s posts focus on these main things:
1. Interesting foods & drinks (based on unique qualities i.e. visual appeal, taste, eating experience and/or health benefits). Examples of popular articles have included:
- rolled ice cream – this is a type of made-to-order ice cream made on frozen flat surfaces and scraped off to create rolls of ice cream
- pani puri shots – these are savory Indian shots that come in an array of eye-catching colors
- CBD oil edibles and gummies – these are edible goods made of the largely legal component of cannabis, CBD, which is linked with healing properties
- flaming saganaki – this is a Greek cheese appetizer that is lit on fire
- coxinhas – these are Brazilian appetizers similar to chicken nuggets
- air fried foods – these are a healthier alternative to deep-fried foods and can easily be made at home
- exotic fruits – these are fruits that are commonly found in tropical regions around the world
- liquid nitrogen puffs & dragon’s breath – these are snacks infused with liquid nitrogen that make you breathe like a dragon
2. How you can try these foods & drinks yourself (i.e. where to buy them near you & how to make them—at the bottom of each food article). Click on any of the articles above to find the closest places that serve these foods and recipes on the easiest way to make them (when applicable).
3. Tips for eating healthy (cause there is a right & wrong way to eat anything). When you feature all kinds of trending foods, some of them are bound to not be the most healthy. 😛 We feel a responsibility educate people to eat responsibly as well. Here are some examples of articles that provide tips on how to eat healthy and responsibly:
- eat what you want while staying healthy
- a cheat sheet to make healthy food choices easily
- eat out wisely: easy modifications to make your orders healthier
Other things you can do on Glutto Digest include:
1. Shopping for food-related gifts that you or your favorite food lover might like on our Gift Shop page. We have pretty much anything you could ever want to need, from stuff you can use for your kitchen to containers to keep your food & drinks fresh on the go.
2. Subscribing to our latest food posts on our Subscription page. Subscribing to Glutto Digest is like having a really awesome foodie friend to keep you in-the-know about all the best food trends and cultural foods that you probably wouldn’t know of otherwise.
3. Letting us know if you want us to feature a specific food, location or recipe on our Contact page. Although we have a pretty good pulse on all kinds of foods & drinks to feature, we’re always open to hearing other suggestions. Don’t hesitate to reach out….We don’t bite (unless you’re hiding food from us). 😉
Still want to know more? Find out more about us on our About page.
Hungry for More?
Get delicious food updates delivered
straight to your inbox!
P.S. Subscribe and Receive: “11 Quick Tips for Eating Anything AND Staying Healthy”