What is naan pizza? Naan pizza is pretty much what it sounds like, pizza made out of naan bread instead of traditional pizza dough. Naan is an oven-baked flatbread that originated in Central and Southern Asia and has Middle Eastern influences. It is a staple food in India and areas of the Middle East. Any combination of savory toppings can be used on naan pizza.
What’s so great about naan pizza? First of all, it provides a slightly crispy, yet soft chewy texture unique to tandoori naan. Secondly, it can come in different flavors like butter and garlic which add another dimension of taste to your pizza. But most importantly, using naan instead of raw dough makes the cooking time much faster…typically 3 minutes or less in a broiler.
Los Angeles, CA: Naan Hut
New York, NY (Bronx): Naan Shack
San Diego, CA: Amplified Ale Works
Philadelphia, PA: Indeblue
Washington D.C. (Hyattsville): Spice 6
How can I make it? Making a naan pizza is pretty much the same as making any other pizza, but instead of using raw dough, just assemble your ingredients on a large piece of naan. Here’s a super quick recipe to get your pizza-making juices flowing…
Ingredients – 1 serving
- 1 piece of naan (we recommend Stonefire for its size and softness)
- 1/2 cup of pizza sauce (can substitute with tikka masala, pesto, etc.)
- 1/2 cup protein (as desired: pepperoni, tofu, etc.)
- 1/2 cup vegetables (as desired: bell peppers, mushrooms, olives, etc. )
- 1/4 cup cheese (as desired: fresh mozzarella, goat cheese, etc.)
- Turn on broiler.
- Place naan on a baking sheet
- Spread a thin layer your sauce evenly on the naan
- Add your protein, vegetables and cheese
- Put the naan pizza in the oven on the middle rack for 2-3 mins, or until cheese is bubbling. (Keep a close eye, since ignoring it for just a minute could end up in a burnt pizza.)
- Slice into pieces and enjoy!