Buddha Bowls: healthy bowls bulging with goodness
What is a buddha bowl? Buddha bowls are a hearty, health-conscious meal that consists of lean protein, colorful vegetables, grains and other healthy toppings all piled into a bowl. They are aptly named since the large mound of food symbolizes a bulging Buddha belly. They also go by the names: sunshine bowl, hippie bowl, glory bowl and macro bowl.
Where can I get it? You can get buddha bowls in many restaurants that specialize in healthy foods. Here are several places known for their health-laden bowls.
Austin, TX: Galaxy Cafe📷: Galaxy Cafe on Facebook
Los Angeles, CA: Cafe Gratitude📷: Cafe Gratitude on Facebook
Washington D. C.: Seoul Food📷: Seoul Food D.C. on Facebook
Looking for more places that serve buddha bowls? You can find them on Glutto right here.
How can I make it? Buddha bowls are simple to make since you just have to pick your favorite healthy ingredients and put them all in a bowl. Here’s an easy recipe that can be modified as you wish…
- 1 cup of protein (tofu, chicken, fish, etc.)
- 2-3 cups of cooked brown rice or quinoa (follow brown rice cooker instructions)
- 1 cup small brussels sprouts (cut in half)
- 1 cup broccoli (cut into florets)
- olive oil (for drizzling)
- avocado dressing (or your favorite dressing)
- 1 medium avocado (peel & remove pit)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Put broccoli, brussels sprouts and butternut squash on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt & pepper and toss to evenly cover the vegetables. Evenly spread the vegetables on the baking sheet.
- Put baking sheet with vegetables in the oven for 30 mins or until brown, flipping halfway for even roasting.
- If you are making the avocado dressing, blend all the dressing ingredients until smooth, then chill in the refrigerator.
- In a pan, drizzle olive oil and cook the protein until lightly browned.
- In a bowl, assemble the rice/quinoa, protein, and vegetables. Then top with the dressing and enjoy!