Honey Brick Toast: move over gingerbread houses
What is a honey brick toast?
Honey brick toast (a.k.a. brick toast, honey toast, Japanese honey toast, or Shibuya honey toast) is a thick dense toast often cut into cubes and assembled into a large brick piled with sweet toppings.
Honey toast tends to be more prevalent in west coast, but here are some popular locations across the US where you can try this sweet monolith:
Davis, CA: Brick Toast Cafe📷: bricktoastcafe.com
Monterey Park, CA: Tea Brick📷: www.teabrick.online
Seattle, WA: Hard Wok Cafe📷: Hard Wok Cafe on Facebook
Looking for more places that serve honey brick toast? You can find them on Glutto right here.
Making honey brick toast is a bit like assembling a gingerbread house. It’s all about maintaining the structure while getting all the sweet ingredients in there. Here’s a flexible recipe that you can save on Glutto that is pretty fun and very doable:
- 1 unsliced loaf of sandwich bread
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 sliced banana (can substitute/add: strawberries, kiwis, raspberries, etc.)
- 1-3 scoops ice cream (pick your favorite flavor)
- 2-3 vanilla wafers or rolled wafers for decoration (optional)
- honey or chocolate syrup (for drizzling)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- To create the bricks, cut off one end and hollow out the bread with a sharp knife so the sides are even and the bottom is intact. (Tip: It helps to make a small cut on the outside along the bottom to release the center.) This creates a bread container. Then, cut the hollowed out section into cubes so it looks like this:
- Mix the butter, sugar and vanilla.
- Spread the butter mixture on each of the cubes and inside the bread container.
- Place the butter-covered bread container and cubes in the oven for 6-8 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Fill the bread container halfway with the cubes and fruit, then lightly drizzle with honey or chocolate syrup.
- Fill the bread container to the top with the cubes and fruit, then lightly drizzle with honey or chocolate syrup.
- Place 1-3 scoops of ice cream and 2-3 wafers on top.
- Drizzle honey or chocolate syrup on top of the ice cream and enjoy!