Honey Brick Toast: move over gingerbread houses
What is a honey brick toast? Honey brick toast (similar to Japanese honey toast or Shibuya honey toast) is a thick dense toast often cut into cubes and assembled into a large brick piled with sweet toppings.
Davis, CA: Brick Toast Cafe: bricktoastcafe.com
Monterey Park, CA: Tea Brick: www.teabrick.online
Seattle, WA: Hard Wok Cafe: Hard Wok Cafe on Facebook
Looking for more places that serve honey brick toast? You can find them on Glutto right here.
How can I make it? Making honey brick toast is a bit like assembling a gingerbread house. It’s all about maintaining the structure while getting all the sweet ingredients in there. Here’s a flexible recipe that you can save on Glutto that is pretty fun and very doable:
- 1 unsliced loaf of sandwich bread
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 sliced banana (can substitute/add: strawberries, kiwis, raspberries, etc.)
- 1-3 scoops ice cream (pick your favorite flavor)
- 2-3 vanilla wafers or rolled wafers for decoration (optional)
- honey or chocolate syrup (for drizzling)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- To create the bricks, cut off one end and hollow out the bread with a sharp knife so the sides are even and the bottom is intact. (Tip: It helps to make a small cut on the outside along the bottom to release the center.) This creates a bread container. Then, cut the hollowed out section into cubes so it looks like this:
- Mix the butter, sugar and vanilla.
- Spread the butter mixture on each of the cubes and inside the bread container.
- Place the butter-covered bread container and cubes in the oven for 6-8 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Fill the bread container halfway with the cubes and fruit, then lightly drizzle with honey or chocolate syrup.
- Fill the bread container to the top with the cubes and fruit, then lightly drizzle with honey or chocolate syrup.
- Place 1-3 scoops of ice cream and 2-3 wafers on top.
- Drizzle honey or chocolate syrup on top of the ice cream and enjoy!