Khachapuri: Georgian cheese-filled bread boats
What is khachapuri?
Khachapuri, specifically the Adjarian (Acharuli/Adjaruli) variation, is a boat-shaped bread filled to the brim with melted cheese and topped with a sunny side up egg. It’s also known as a “cheese boat” or “cheeseboat.” Other variations of khachapuri include: Imeretian/Imeruli khachapuri (cheese-filled discs of bread), Achma khachapuri (cheese bread assembled in layers similar to lasagna) and Penovani khachapuri (cheese bread structured like a calzone). All these styles of cheese stuffed bread originated in the country of Georgia and are a popular street food and appetizer in many post-Soviet states including Armenia and Russia.
Where can I get it?
Khachapuri can be found at most Georgian restaurants. However, if you’re looking for the “cheese boat” version, make sure the restaurant specifically serves Adjarian (Acharuli/Adjaruli) khachapuri. Here are some Georgian restaurants that serve various types of this cheese-filled bread.
Brooklyn, NY: Cheeseboat: Cheeseboat on Facebook
San Diego, CA: Russian-Georgian Pomegranate Restaurant: Russian-Georgian Pomegranate Restaurant on Facebook
How can I make it? Authentic Adjarian khachapuri can take over a couple hours to make from scratch. However, here is a quick alternative recipe takes less than an hour and is just as delicious if you’re too hungry to wait.
- 1 package pre-made raw dough (e.g. Trader Joe’s pizza dough)
1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese (shredded)
1 1/2 cups feta cheese (crumbled)
3/4 cup plain yogurt
2 large eggs (beaten)
- 4-6 large eggs (in shells)
1 tablespoon kosher salt
- flour (to help form dough)
- Open packaging of pre-made dough and let dough rest at room temperature for 30 mins
- Pre-heat oven at 450°F
- Mix the cheeses, yogurt, eggs and salt in a bowl
- Form “boats” according to this video:
- Fill the “boats” with the cheese and egg mixture leaving enough room for an egg on top (don’t add egg yet)
- Crack open an egg and beat to create an egg wash; brush egg wash on edges of the cheese-filled “boats”
- Put “boats” in the oven for 15 mins (or until crust begins to brown)
- After removing the “boats” from the oven, use a spoon to create a dent in the center of the cheese; crack open an egg add add one to each dent
- Return “boats” to the oven for 6-8 minutes (or until golden brown)
- Serve and enjoy!