Non-alcoholic spirits are the best way to enjoy your favorite cocktails and liquor without the alcohol. With the growing public health concerns associated with drinking, you may want to educate yourself about the alternatives to traditional spirits.
Believe it or not, non-alcoholic spirits are not a new concept. The earliest known example of a non-alcoholic spirit dates back to the 16th century when distillers in Europe would produce “cordials” or “elixirs” made from herbs, spices, and other botanicals. These cordials were often used for medicinal purposes and were considered luxury items.
Fast forward to the early 20th century, and non-alcoholic spirits were commonly found in soda fountains and drug stores. These “tonics” were often marketed as a cure-all for a variety of ailments, from indigestion to fatigue. However, it wasn’t until recently that these spirits without alcohol gained popularity in the cocktail world.
Evolution of non-alcoholic spirits
In the past, the only option for a non-alcoholic cocktail was a virgin version of a traditional cocktail, such as a mocktail. However, with the rise of non-alcoholic spirits, bartenders have been given the ability to create more complex and interesting cocktails sans alcohol.
One of the pioneers of non-alcoholic spirits is Seedlip, a company founded in 2014 by Ben Branson. Seedlip’s spirit alternatives are distilled in a similar way to traditional spirits, using a blend of botanicals to create unique and complex flavors. Since Seedlip’s inception, other companies have followed suit, including Ritual Zero Proof and Monday Gin.
More than mocktails
Non-alcoholic spirits are not just for those who choose not to drink alcohol. They are also a great option for designated drivers, pregnant women, and anyone who wants to enjoy a delicious cocktail without the negative effects of alcohol.
These sober spirits can be used in a variety of ways in cocktails. They can be used as a base spirit, similar to gin or vodka, or they can be used as a modifier to add depth and complexity to a cocktail. (e.g. Seedlip’s Spice 94 can be used in a non-alcoholic version of a Moscow Mule, adding a spicy kick without the alcohol)
In addition to being used in cocktails, non-alcoholic spirits can also be enjoyed on their own as a refreshing and flavorful alternative to traditional spirits.
Brands of non-alcoholic spirits
There are many brands of non-alcoholic spirits available in the market, each offering its own variety of flavors and styles. Here are some popular non-alcoholic spirit brands that you can order online (click the links to order):
- Seedlip – Seedlip is often credited with starting the non-alcoholic spirits trend. The brand offers three distinct flavors: Spice 94, Garden 108, and Grove 42.
- Ritual Zero Proof – Ritual Zero Proof offers non-alcoholic versions of whiskey, gin, and tequila. Their products are designed to mimic the taste and aroma of traditional spirits.
- Lyre’s – Lyre’s offers a wide range of non-alcoholic spirits, including whiskey, rum, gin, and more. Their products are designed to taste like the real thing, with a similar flavor profile and aroma.
- Monday Gin – Monday Gin offers a range of non-alcoholic gin flavors, including classic, spicy, and floral. Their products are made with natural botanicals and are designed to be mixed into cocktails or enjoyed on their own.
- Fluère – Fluère offers a range of non-alcoholic spirits, including gin, spiced cane dark rum, and aperitif. Their products are designed to be used in cocktails, offering complex alcohol-free flavors.
- Bonbuz – Bonbuz describes itself as “the first functional alcohol-free social spirit that is designed to stimulate your mind, mood, and body from our natural stimulants to ensure you are on top of your game from the first sip to the morning after.”
- Crystal – Crystal is a non-alcoholic whiskey that is completely free of alcohol and sugar. It is also vegan, keto-friendly and Halal.
More non-alcoholic drinks
Non-Alcoholic Wine: raise your glass to guilt-free cheers
As more and more people look to alternatives to alcoholic beverages, non-alcoholic wine has grown…
Non-Alcoholic Beer: brewing flavor without the hangover
A steady shift in the world of beer is occurring. Although non-alcoholic beer has largely…
Non-alcoholic beverages: alcohol-free to zero proof drinks
Non-alcoholic beverages are one of the biggest drink trends that started picking up momentum in…
Kristina Reynolds is the Founder & CEO of Glutto and an alumna of the University of California, San Diego. She writes articles & posts for Glutto Digest with insights from fellow industry experts. Furthermore, she is the author of The Fittest Food Lovers: How EVERY BODY Can be Incredibly Fit and Still Enjoy Food, a collaborative philanthropic book with proceeds going to charities that fight world hunger.