Dirty Bread: the messier the better
Discover what dirty bread is, where you can get it nearby and how to make it easily at home.
What is dirty bread?
Dirty bread is a chocolate cream-filled croissant, coated in chocolate ganache and generously covered in cocoa powder. It’s mass appeal is that it inevitably gets your face “dirty” when you eat it.
This food craze started in China where it is known as zang zang bao (translation: “dirty dirty bread). It was inspired by Japanese chocolate croissants and introduced to the public in 2017. The chocolate bread became a sensation going viral on social media and quickly spreading internationally to Singapore, Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur and New Zealand.
Other names for this chocolate bread include: dirty bun, dirty cocoa bread, mud bun, messy bun, messy bread and messy chocolate. Besides chocolate, other common flavors include matcha green tea and white chocolate.
dirty bread flavors (clockwise from top left): chocolate, matcha green tea, strawberry cream cheese, white chocolate
These places don’t necessarily serve dirty bread, but they do serve some foods & drinks you can get now that could provide you with a similar fun, messy experience you’ve been looking for…
Chicago, IL: Cocoa + Co.
—drinking chocolates (hot chocolate covered in cocoa powder)—
📷: Cafe du Monde on Facebook
How can I make it? Too impatient to wait around for dirty bread to come to your city? Here’s a super quick and easy way to make it yourself and finally get your hands on these dirty buns.
- 2 croissants (fresh from your local bakery)
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup chocolate mousse, or chocolate ganache sauce
- chocolate syrup (topping)
- First, fill the food syringe with chocolate mousse.
- Inject the mousse into one end of each of the croissants.
- Brush a thin layer of chocolate ganache or chocolate syrup on top of each croissant (or all over, if you want to go crazy).
- In a bowl, generously cover the croissants in cocoa powder. Make sure all the ganache/syrup is well covered.
- Add an extra drizzle of chocolate syrup on top (optional).
- Enjoy and get dirty!