Edible Raw Cookie Dough: it’s now OK to lick the bowl
What is edible raw cookie dough? This is not the same kind of dough you used to lick out of your parents’ mixing bowl when you were a kid. In other words, “this ain’t yo mama’s cookie dough.” Instead, it is a safe-to-eat version specifically made to be eaten raw while avoiding the dangers of raw eggs and flour. Some places use pasteurized eggs, while others eliminate eggs and dairy completely making them vegan.
Some places even serve cookie dough sandwiches: raw batter sandwiched between two baked cookies…forming a cookie inception, if you will.
Where can I get it? Safe-to-eat raw cookie dough has been around for decades, but has only recently found widespread popularity. You can find this 100% edible raw dessert at these places.
Boston, MA (Cambridge): Little Donkey?: @LittleDonkeyBoston @benhur345 on Instagram
Chicago, IL (Naperville): Cookie Dough Creations?: Cookie Dough Creations on Facebook
Looking for more places that serve edible raw cookie dough? You can find them on Glutto right here.
How can I make it? Edible raw cookie dough is probably one of the easiest desserts you can make since you’re primarily mixing the ingredients together while completely eliminating the baking process. Follow this recipe, which you can save on Glutto here. The most important things to keep in mind are: 1) making sure the flour is properly heated so it is safe for consumption and 2) mixing all the ingredients in the proper order so you can achieve the best doughy texture.
- a kitchen mixer (optional)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (tightly packed)
- 5 tablespoons flour (microwaved 1 min – mix every 15 seconds, or until 160°F)
- 2 tablespoons butter (room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips (white, milk or dark)
- 1 tablespoon milk (whatever you prefer—cow’s milk, almond, soy, etc.)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 pinches salt
- In a large bowl mix the sugar, butter, vanilla and salt with the mixer (or by hand).
- Mix in the milk, then slowly mix in the heated flour to create the texture of cookie dough.
- Add the chocolate chips until evenly mixed. Enjoy!