Where Can I Get it? | How Can I Make It?
What are cloud eggs?
Cloud eggs (a.k.a. eggs in a cloud, or cloudy eggs) are baked eggs made out of fluffy, meringue-like egg whites topped with a raw yolk. This puffy version of cooked eggs has quietly been around for years. Rachel Ray even posted a recipe for eggs in clouds back in 2012. However, they became a food phenomenon when it flooded Instagram in May 2017.
Where can I get it?
As cloud eggs get more and more popular, it’s inevitable that they will be found in plenty of breakfast and brunch places across the country. But for now, these are just a few of places that serve these fluffy versions of sunny side up eggs.
Brooklyn, NY: AlMar
New York, NY: Il Punto Ristorante
Seattle, WA (Bainbridge Island): Cafe Nola
Looking for more places that serve cloud eggs? See the latest list of places on Glutto right here.
How can I make it?
Special Tools – pick one
- hand blender (this is easiest),
- hand mixer (second easiest), or
- whisk (get ready to do a lot of mixing)
- 2 large eggs
- salt and white pepper (to taste)
- sriracha/hot sauce/condiments of your choosing (optional)
- green onions (optional)
- First, carefully crack open both eggs so the yolks are intact.
- Separate the yolks from the egg whites and put the egg whites in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk the egg whites with your hand blender or whisk until they turn into a dense foam and create stiff peaks.
- On a non-stick baking sheet, form “clouds” with the egg white foam and put the raw yolk in the center.
- Stick the eggs in the oven at 350°F for 8-10 minutes (or 450°F for 3 minutes if you want a browner look).
- Add salt & pepper plus your favorite egg toppings (hot sauce, green onions, etc.) Enjoy!
Kristina Reynolds is the Founder & CEO of Glutto and an alumna of the University of California, San Diego. She writes articles & posts for Glutto Digest with insights from fellow industry experts. Furthermore, she is the author of The Fittest Food Lovers: How EVERY BODY Can be Incredibly Fit and Still Enjoy Food, a collaborative philanthropic book with proceeds going to charities that fight world hunger.