What is a cotton candy ice cream cone?
Cotton candy ice cream cones (a.k.a. cotton candy-wrapped ice cream, cotton candy cones, cloudy ice cream, cloud cones, sugar clouds, candy floss ice cream [U.K.] and fairy floss ice cream [Australia]) is simply an ice cream cone covered in a fluffy cloud of cotton candy. The ice cream is typically soft-serve and is decorated with all kinds of candies and other sweet toppings. A variation includes ice cream in a cup topped with a decorated cloud of cotton candy.
It originated at a place called Milk Train Cafe in London, England and has spread throughout the globe to Dubai, the Philippines and Australia.
Don’t confuse this dessert with:
- cotton candy ice cream, which is simply a blue and sometimes pink ice cream with the flavor of cotton candy,
- cotton candy burrito, which consists of multiple scoops of ice cream wrapped in cotton candy, or
- Dairy Queen’s cotton candy-dipped cone, which is a soft-serve cone dipped in a blue cotton candy-flavored liquid that coats the ice cream and solidifies into a hard shell.
What is eating a cotton candy ice cream cone like?
Contrary to what you might expect, this treat isn’t overwhelmingly sweet and the cotton candy surprisingly compliments the ice cream nicely. One thing to keep in mind is that when the soft-serve ice cream touches the cotton candy, it “melts” the cotton candy instantly—so get your pictures in quickly.
Where can I get it?
You can find cotton candy ice cream cones in certain specialty ice cream shops like these…
Huntington Beach, CA: Snow Monster
New York, NY: Ruimilk
San Francisco, CA: Honey Creme
Looking for more places that serve cotton candy ice cream cones? You can find them on Glutto right here.
How can I make it?
Ingredients (2 servings)
- 1 cup sugar, or as directed for your cotton candy machine
- 2 ice cream cones (either sugar or waffle cones will do)
- 4 scoops ice cream (your favorite flavors)
- ice cream toppings (fruits, candies, cookies, bits of edible raw cookie dough, syrup etc.)
- First, follow the directions for the cotton candy machine and wait till cotton candy begins to form.
- Collect the cotton candy by wrapping it around the top of an ice cream cone so it creates a fluffy cloud shape.
- Fill the cone with ice cream.
- Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Kristina Reynolds is the Founder & CEO of Glutto and an alumna of the University of California, San Diego. She writes articles & posts for Glutto Digest with insights from fellow industry experts. Furthermore, she is the author of The Fittest Food Lovers: How EVERY BODY Can be Incredibly Fit and Still Enjoy Food, a collaborative philanthropic book with proceeds going to charities that fight world hunger.