Cotton Candy Burrito: an ice cream wrap that works like magic
Find out what cotton candy burritos are made of and where you can get your hands on them.
What is a cotton candy burrito?
A cotton candy burrito (a.k.a. ice cream burrito or cotton candy ice cream burrito) is a dessert made up of ice cream scoops placed side-by-side on a flattened cloud of pink, yellow, and/or baby blue cotton candy. The ice cream is covered in various ice cream toppings like: cereal, candy, sprinkles, sparkly “unicorn dust” and other sweet, visually appealing edible accents. Everything is wrapped like a burrito in the cotton candy “tortilla” and cut in half to expose the colorful filling.
Just thinking of ice cream combined with cotton candy might give you a sugar rush, but those who have tasted this unicorn-esque food admit they pair quite well together. The most common reaction (according to servers) is that it’s not as sweet as expected. The cotton candy, which is usually wrapped in paper, also holds up to the ice cream without disintegrating in your hands…almost like magic.
The creative inventors of this sugar on sugar dessert own the appropriately-named store Sugar Sugar, a Canadian ice cream shop in Sarnia, Ontario. They began selling the cotton candy burrito in-store in April 2017. Since then, several other ice cream places started getting in on the sweet action.
How can I make it? Cotton candy ice cream burritos are really quite easy to make, or more accurately…assemble. Here’s a simple way to get your trendy dessert fix.
- 1 bag of cotton candy
- 1 pint of ice cream (your favorite flavor(s))
- ice cream toppings (as you like): cereal, sprinkles, edible sparkles, etc.
- First, remove the cotton candy from the bag and flatten it with the rolling pin.
- Scoop out 3-4 scoops of ice cream and place in a line in the middle of the flattened cotton candy.
- Top the ice cream with your favorite toppings.
- Roll the ice cream and toppings with the cotton candy like a burrito until it is completely wrapped.
- Cut in half and enjoy!