Doughnut Cones: the ice cream cone gets sweeter
What is a doughnut cone? A doughnut cone or donut cone (a.k.a. trdelník in Czech/Slovak, kürtőskalács in Hungarian, or chimneys in the UK) is a dessert pastry that originated in Eastern Europe made of dough baked on a rotating cone-shaped spit, then covered with cinnamon & sugar. They can be filled with chocolate syrup and topped with ice cream.
Where can I get it? Doughnut cones have become quite popular internationally from Canada to Australia. Although they are not widely available in the US, here are some places that are known to serve amazing doughnut cones.
Looking for more places that serve doughnut cones? You can find them on Glutto right here.
How can I make it? Although authentic doughnut cones can be a bit unwieldy to make with a traditional rotisserie and spit rod, we have a simplified version you can make at home. All you need are a few common household items and ingredients. Follow this recipe, and/or save it for later on Glutto here.
- 1 tube of dough (e.g. Pillsbury Grands)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 pint ice cream
- toppings (as you like e.g. sprinkles, chocolate chips, chocolate syrup, fruits, etc.)
- First, move your oven rack to the bottom and preheat to 375ºF.
- Shape the foil into 4-6 cones (big enough to put a scoop of ice cream on top).
- Cover your work surface with flour and use a rolling pin to roll out the dough. Cut and form the dough into 1/4 in. thick ropes.
- Wrap the dough around the foil cones starting from the tip and use water to help “glue” the dough together.
- On a greased baking sheet, put the cones (open side down) and bake 7-9 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine the cinnamon and sugar in a bowl.
- Once the cones are done baking, brush the cones with melted butter and cover with cinnamon and sugar.
- Return the cones to the oven and bake another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the cones from the oven and separate from the foil.
- When the cones have cooled down, add a scoop of ice cream in each cone and add your toppings. Enjoy!