Egg Waffles: a waffle for bubble wrap poppers everywhere
What are egg waffles? Egg waffles are similar to traditional waffles in the sense that they are both made from leavened batter and cooked in a hot iron. There are minor variations in the main ingredients, but egg waffles are cooked in special griddles which cook the batter in a repeating pattern of connected spherical shapes, similar to bubble wrap. They come in a wide range of flavors (e.g. plain, green tea and purple sweet potato) and variations (e.g. cones, pockets and sandwiches). Sometimes they are served with ice cream, sauces, or other toppings. Egg waffles are known by many names: bubble waffles, Hong Kong style waffles, eggettes, egg puffs, puffles, pancake waffles, pancake balls…and it’s Cantonese name gai daan jai (translation: “little chicken egg”).
Egg waffles originated from the streets of Hong Hong and Macau in the mid-20th century, but have gained global popularity throughout the 2010’s. Now they are often eaten as a snack or dessert with ice cream.
Boston, MA: Egg Puffs
Dallas, TX (Carrollton): Cow Tipping Creamery📷: Cow Tipping Creamery on Facebook
New York, NY: Eggloo📷: Eggloo on Facebook
San Diego, CA: Boba Bar and Desserts📷: Boba Bar on Dining Out
Looking for more places that serve egg waffles? You can find them on Glutto right here.
How can I make it? If you’ve made traditional waffles before, you pretty much already know how to make egg waffles. But no matter what your waffle-making experience level is, they are quick and easy to make. Simply follow this recipe that you can also save on Glutto:
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon tapioca/corn starch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 fl ounces water
- toppings of your choice (fresh fruits, ice cream, syrups, etc.)
- mix all ingredients (except toppings) in a large bowl until it becomes a smooth batter
- lightly coat egg waffle maker with vegetable oil or spray
- heat egg waffle maker until hot
- add the batter and set egg waffle maker to medium heat for 2-2 1/2 mins
- flip egg waffle maker and heat for an additional 2-2 1/2 mins
- remove egg waffle from the maker, add your favorite toppings and enjoy